Saturday, 26 April 2014

Boarstall Duck Decoy

It was raining on the way to the Boarstall Duck Decoy where I had decided to take the boys for a run round. I'm stubborn and refused to let the rain stop us.
But there was a strong whiff of reluctance from the boys in the car.
"Where are we going?"
"How long will it take to get there?"
"I think we should go home. It's raining."
Me: "What does that mean? Will you melt?" (I think I have an attitude problem.)
Boy: "Yes."
"What is there to do there?"
Me to myself in my head: "Look at Bluebells hopefully!" But I don't say this, because I don't want to hear what their response to that would be.
I do say:
"I don't know! Let's find out!" In my perkiest voice.

I LOVE the drive up here.
A good gravelly road through farm.
As far as we know, we were the only visitors having been warmly greeted by the keeper.
The boys loved seeing his CCTV of a Blue Tit's nest the best.

Mostly they enjoyed running and finding the numbers that indicate you are going the right way around.

Of course the little brother wants to keep up with his big brother.

We only saw one Duck, but enjoyed what serenity there was (with 2 energetic boys).





We didn't stay long den building because it really was rainy and windy and I wasn't too sure how bad it would get.



It was here when I was relieved that we had the place to ourselves because the shouts of joy upon discovering this fallen tree were quite loud.

I find it so enjoyable to watch children having fun without a contrived activity. This was simply nature.
 No photocopied treasure map, no jarring images to follow along the trail, no reward at the end. 
There was no need. 
We did get round the trail quickly, but that was mostly because of the threat of the weather and time pressure to be home by a certain time.
Not because of a lack of contrived activities geared towards children in the hopes of keeping them occupied.

Again, Little Brother wants to do what the Big Brother does.


Look at the huge chunk of earth that came up with the fallen tree. 
With Bluebells still attached!


So Little Brother, how many Bluebells can you count?
"1, 2, 3, 4, loads of them."




A picture of the Decoy a long time ago.

When we returned to the car, Big Brother said:
"It's always like this. Whenever we go somewhere, we don't think that we are going to like it and we don't want to go; and then when we go there, we have so much fun and then keep asking when can we go back."
Yes. 
I want to remember this for always.
Especially in the teen years to come.
For the record, I did not rub it in, I just laughed and agreed. Happy that they had a good time.

We had to stop on the way out so that I could snap the plentiful Dandelions.

And then we had to stop again to admire the perfect rainbow over Brill Hill.

And again to admire the Rapeseed. This view always reminds me of that Windows XP wallpaper.
But better with the yellow.

                                                                 Country Kids from Coombe Mill Family Farm Holidays Cornwall

9 comments:

  1. What a fabulous place to explore! And you got to see real bluebells too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those bluebell woods are beautiful, I love the fact that the trees have fallen in such a way to allow climbing over them.

    Nipping over from Country Kids.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! Same story here about boys who don't want to go and end up having great fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your photos and your trip is so ..magical. There is just something fairy tale like with that forest that you visited =) #countrykids

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fun, fun, fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How typical of children not to want to venture out in then rave about what a great time they have had - Mum knows best! The bluebells were gorgeous and I can easily see my the fallen tree received woops of joy. Thanks for linking up and sharing your adventure with Country Kids.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like somewhere I need to add to my list of places to visit #CountryKids

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous - I so want to get down your neck of the woods soon and see some of these great places myself!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Simply stunning and a great family adventure. Love your rapeseed photo, I'm a little obsessed with the bright yellow fields too.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me!