Thursday, 21 November 2013

How Does Your Garden Grow?


Forgive me.
This is going to be a long post, and not all gardens.
But I'll explain why.

A few weeks ago, I had a couple of child-free hours to myself in Antwerp and I came upon a treasure trove.
I took myself off for a wander walk and a browse through the child un-friendly antique shops and found boxes of photographic slides.

Being the nosey person that I am, and also fantasising about stumbling across "the next Vivian Maier", I took my time snooping through the slides.
There were lots of garden and plant shots!
It could be as if someone from the How Does Your Garden Grow clan went back in time on holiday and shared their shots.

I restrained myself and bought a selected handful.
After all, they were someone else's pictures, they could turn out to be not-that-exciting. I was also supposed to be travelling light; with three kids on my own. Ha!
I am kicking myself now.

We borrowed my in-laws projector and I delighted in my wall being illuminated with these gorgeous, mysterious shots.

My father-in-law's DIY addition to the projector. It somehow adds power to the lighting?
I had planned to edit them down and share them in bits and bobs, but I can't bear separating them because somehow they are all connected.
I think.
And I like the story they tell.
I hope you will too.

Other than cropping, straightening and in some cases- sharpening, I did not change colour on these images.
Vintage Roses








I spy Zinnias











Hubby's Favourite









My favourite.
I could go on and on why I love these so much.
Is it the way they dress to sight see? 
Is it the colourings of the images?
Is it how photographic slides light up the room? Why is is different than viewing them on a tv? Is it because they have no hard edges and that they demand the attention of the room? Everything else needs to be dark and so the images demand the attention?
Is it the mystery behind the images? Are they all slides from the same family? Why did they end up here? Where were they taken? Who are they?

In my excitement, I know that I have not taken the best shots of these images. I was too busy jumping up and down and looking and I was also aware that I had dragged the hubby away from other things that he needed to be doing.
I just couldn't wait to share.
And also, I wouldn't dare touch the projector on my own!
I can't wait to have another viewing...

Mammasaurus - How Does Your Garden Grow?

13 comments:

  1. OH MY OH MY! What an amazing find! Oh I love them all - like you say, how impeccably dressed to be sight seeing. The colours, the look, the scenery. That's what inspired all the new fangled filters on photo editing software just superb. I am in awe. I'll be later to look again, I just know it!

    Thanks for joining in again and for sharing these with us all - I'm almost speechless

    ReplyDelete
  2. Goodness these are amazing. I feel as though I was given a glimpse into this family's journey. They must have been fairly well off to afford a colour camera and certainly look the part too. It could be someone's great great grandparents. I wonder where these were taken. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i sooooooo love this post! for me it is a little bit of everything. the pictures themselves yes for sure but who are the people? where are they? who are/were they? what is their story? i so love the mystery of it all. you stumbled into someone's treasure box. and yes on Vivian Maier. i too am obsessed with her and her story

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Katie these are incredible, what a find. I'm almost speechless, I love old photos and slides and it makes it kind of exciting when you don't know who they are or what they'll have taken. You got some real crackers in there

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh. My. God. How. Utterly. Fabulous.

    It's the mystery. And the beauty. And the fact it brings a tear to my eye thinking of photos of my Grandma in a garden sitting in a deck chair.

    You clever thing. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a brilliant find! I love the first one especially x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow these are incredible. I wonder what the story is. Seems to be a mix of own garden and holiday snaps to me? My favourite is the guy checking the map. Thank you for sharing x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, goodness! What an amazing find. I absolutely love this post, the history, the old photos, the colours, just wonderful xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are amazing! I love the grainy texture and muted colours of analogue photos. It would be nice to know who these gardens belong to and what their lives were like. The photo of the boats on the river is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is incredible! It is like someone came out of a time warp for HDYGG!

    They are gorgeous and I think you are right about having to view them in the dark, and not knowing their story but only seeing bits and pieces of it - it makes it all mysterious.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow. Amazing. I've stepped into a time machine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love these so much, a little story of a holiday in the past, in sunday best clothing. And these people live on through your blog. Beautiful. Their universal light travels on.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh what a lovely thing to do! They look a lot like some of the slides I have have my parents when they were young - very evocative.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me!