Thursday, 18 July 2013

Footprints in the Garden


A couple of years ago we made hand and feet casts in the sand pit using plaster of paris.
I loved these.
It was such an easy, effective activity.
But I wish that I had gotten them shadow boxes to put them in in advance because they kept getting knocked over and weren't the most durable decorations.
I wanted to do this activity again, but decided to use cement instead of plaster of paris to make the casts durable and garden friendly.
My mother-in-law had recently bought this BFG footprints for her garden and I thought that we could make our own.
So we did!

I did a few different attempts, learning about mixing cement.  I learned that:
It works better when you mix it with sand like you are supposed to.
And you must be patient and let them sit for at least a day even if they look dry.  Do not poke about and lift until a day has passed.  And then flip them over and let them sit a bit longer before washing the sand off just in case.
I made quite a runny mixture for the last lot so that it flowed into the molds better.
And this worked fine.

This was a gloopy batch.



Who needs Sasquatch? I've got my own big feet!.  I don't know what thy strange oval like thing is though.


This batch was too gloopy and used on a very light weight model whose impressions were very light in the sand despite me gently pressing the digits and toes down.
For lighter weight models, I then decided to use plaster of paris instead as it flows much better.
(Remember you can also bring some plaster of paris with you to a sandy seaside and do this activity on the beach!!! I suppose you could do this with cement too...?)

But these are cement and turned out pretty well!


Cement

Human Foot/Cement Foot

A plaster model of a hand ready to be transported to it's creator.

I am pretty sure we will be adding to these footsteps in the next few days.  Mixing cement is super fun and addictive.


















2 comments:

  1. Hi, had to comment! what a great idea : ) I can see a line appearing in our garden!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me!